Manufacturing & Engineering
Manufacturing and engineering are among the key sectors for our local economy. In its various guises manufacturing and engineering employ many people on the South Coast and on a national level, it amounts to one seventh of the UK GDP, contributes approximately half of our export, carries out three quarters of business research and development (for which there are great tax incentives) and the UK is still the sixth largest manufacturing location in the world.
Our involvement in the manufacturing and engineering sector stems from an enviable client base of local manufacturing and engineering businesses that enables us to keep in regular contact with issues in the sector. We build on this platform by speaking to businesses and other professionals in the region and by attending events aimed specifically at manufacturing and engineering businesses.
Whilst we don’t profess to be ‘manufacturing consultants’ we do have a deep understanding and an affinity with the issues that local manufacturing and engineeringn companies face such as:
- R & D tax benefits
- Patent Box
- The merits of taking the manufacturing operations offshore
- Taking advantage of sales opportunities that exist in emerging and shifting international markets
- Maximising manufacturing efficiency and increased automation (lean manufacturing)
- Access to finance and capital expenditure, research and development and innovation
- Exchange rate volatility
- Bad debt risk and lack of or reduced levels of credit insurance cover
- High levels of corporation tax and a tax regime that is increasingly discouraging
- Capital expenditure and investment in research and development
- Increasing levels of red tape which makes the UK uncompetitive with offshore rivals because of the time and cost involved
- Counterfeiting of processes, products and websites by overseas competitors
We work with the Manufacaturing Advisory Service (MAS) who can provide a free review of your business to develop an action plan tailored for your company needs – and if you are an SME with the ambition to grow MAS can also provide match funded support for projects.
It is in all of our interest that manufacturing thrives to secure our country’s economic future. We have a passionate interest in continuing to play an active role in supporting businesses in this crucial sector and we use our knowledge to deliver market facing advice. Our innovative solution draws together our specialist advisors from our tax, audit and business advisory teams. They produce professional support packages that are geared to the needs of individual client issues.